Thursday, January 11, 2007

Purdy Burda Coat

So I have been very quiet on the sewing front. Partly because I haven't sewed anything really in ages, also because I am trying not to build up a huge stash of fabrics, part made projects and patterns that I cut out and couldn't find any fabric to fit the bill.

The last thing that I did was precisely that. I decided to make a blouse from one of the Burda World of Fashion Magazines. I did lots of prep work, made pattern adjustments checked them with a muslin which is something that I hadn't done before, but I am very glad that I did. Then when I went to cut out the fabric I figured that the stripes on the fabric that I had weren't really right, seeing as the stripes went width ways and not length ways. The fabric was just too narrow to accommodate cutting out the pattern pieces rotated by 90degrees. So the fabric went back to the stash.

I'm sure it will get use soon enough. Just not in a blousey incarnation. Anyway, here it is, it's got quite a nice sheen to it and a fair bit of body.

I was looking through my stash, seeing what else I had that called out to be made into something. I found 3.5m of deep purple fabric. It's got a bit of stretch to it, and I can remember buying it with a jacket and skirt in mind. But I can't say that I fancy making either now.

The January 2007 Burda dropped through my door on Monday and I have spied a coat pattern which will do nicely for the spring. It's item 101, and it's got a two dot rating, so it should be well within my capabilities. For some reason Blogger didn't want me to upload a photo of the actual Coat, so here is a moderately bad photo of a line drawing!

I have the pattern mostly cut out the pattern, and I am about two thirds of the way through amendments. I am tall above the waist and somewhat larger than the standard B cup that patterns are drafted for.

The patterns in the section for slightly larger women just don't appeal, so I spent some time this evening scaling up the regular size patterns. Perhaps I should take a closer look a the patterns on offer and think less about the often bad choices of fabrics that they use. Well it's my opinion and you are very welcome to it.
I'm a bit sorry about the not very good picture, I have no scanner and no motivation to get one, I just don't have the room in my little house!

I did initially plan to also make the shift dress which is also featured in this month's Burda, but I am about 1m short for making both projects. So I will have to save that other 1.5m for another outing. I know that it's plenty enough for a skirt, but I can't see anything else that I would want to make with it. I will make this up next, probably in a fabric that will work with the jacket that I am working on now.




That is all for tonight. I have done a fair ammount of things, and now I must sleep.

No comments: