Wednesday, January 10, 2007

My Green Curry


So, Totty made himself a very nice looking green curry, I thought that I would do the same.
I used:
A little spray oil for frying
Quarter pint of stock
About 3 tablespoons green curry
1 medium onion
3 cloves garlic
3 small green chillies
1 aubergine
1 courgette
1 can of coconut milk
Now because the curry paste was already made, and the vegetables concerned don't take a lot of time to cook. I made this in about 20 minutes.
First I gently fried off the onion, then when is was a little tender, I added the garlic and fried away until that also was soft. Now spray oil doesn't really add a lot of moisture to the pan, so you could either omit this and fry in the stock, or you could use the oil initially and them add stock tablespoon at a time to keep everything from sticking.
When the onion and garlic are a little soft, add in the green curry paste, stir so that covers everything then add other vegetables, and stir over a gentle heat about half a minute, they will absorb all the good flavours at the bottom of the pan. Then add the rest of the stock. I do it this way around because I worry about the coconut milk splitting. Also before you add the coconut milk, be sure to keep the heat under the pan low, there are lot of fragile aromatics in the curry paste, you don't want to destroy them.
Next add in the whole can of coconut milk. Keep stirring at this point, the coconut milk should get to everything in the pan.
You should now have a nice smelling green liquid barely coating the vegetables. Stir will, reduce the heat and leave well enough alone for a few minutes, be sure to put a lid on the pan. In this time the vegetables will absorb flavour.
When you come back to your pan, you should find, that the vegetables have softened, and the whole thing looks fantastic. If the sauce looks a little to thin for your liking, cook for a couple of minutes with the pan lid off. You don't need to add anything to make the sauce thicker, everything that you need is in the pan already.
I had this with some brown rice and naan bread. The curry was indeed very nice, I would in future reduce the amount of chillies and put an a fragrant herb in at the end of cooking something like basil or mint. Also, I thought that this needed something green and a little crunchy, so in the last few minutes of cooking, I would, in future add some fine green beans or some mange tout.

No comments: