Sunday, January 07, 2007

Green Curry Paste




Now, I got a goo on to make some curry powder. Seeing as I had just gone through my cupboards and checked what spices I have, and that there was a nice bunch of coriander sitting on my counter top. It was only fitting that it turn into a green curry paste.

I have no clue if this is how green curry paste is made. And quite frankly, I don't give a hoot if this isn't the way that it should be made. Experimentation is a fantastic thing. So this curry paste is a bit of a work in progress.

I hope that this tastes OK, because the quantities seem to have got away from me a bit. That's not uncommon though. Often I will start off in the BIG pan because sooner or later I will end up using that one.

So here we go.

Ingredients
2 tbsp Coriander seed
1 tbsp Fenugreek (whole)
1 tbsp Whole Black Pepper
1 tbsp Black Mustard Seeds
1 tbsp Yellow Mustard Seeds
Ginger - Pealed amount about as big as your thumb
4 fat cloves of Garlic
1 Bunch Coriander (use everything, the leaves, the stalks and the roots if you are lucky enough to have them!)
1 Green Finger Chili
2-3 Small chillies (the ones that I have are about an inch long)
Sprig Mint
Oil

I toasted the spices in a dry frying pan, shuffling them around on the heat. I declared them done when I heard them pop. With the mustard seeds I used a splatter guard because the mustard seeds jump out of the pan.

After partially grinding this up in the pestle and mortar, my arms were aching. So, I tried adding a bit of sunflower oil to see if that would help. Which it did a little, but not enough to make much the job to hand much easier. Then I decided to use a much easier method and used my stick blender, to make everything into a pulp.

I think that I must have used about a third of a cup of sunflower oil, I didn't measure it. Instead I kept adding it until there was enough for the blades to make a nice paste.

The aroma was fantastic. My little house was smelling lovely and the nice mellow smell of the spices stuck to my pestle and mortar. Yum.

The only thing that I can't give you is a good photo of the end product. I tried, and, tried and tried. I just couldn't get a dark green paste to look appetising at all. Here it is anyway!

Seeing as me and the lovely Totty had already had dinner this went straight into two small freezer bags, all ready to pull out and use as and when.

No comments: