Monday, December 04, 2006

What is important these days anyway?



OK, stay with me on this one.

Yes, that is a pile of clean dish cloths. To be more accurate, it's a pile of my dish cloths. I use them about the house, for just about everything. If anything gets spilled, out comes a dish cloth. Need something to wipe your face with, clean the kitchen surfaces, damp dusting, you name it. I mostly don't use disposable paper products out of the bathroom.
As a planet, we are running out of resources very quickly. In my life time, if I don't witness oil running out, I'm sure that I will see it's prices soar so as to be far too expensive for most people.

It's little things like my dish cloths that have the potential to make a difference here.

Every time that you buy something, a lorry has to bring it from the factory, to a distribution centre, to the store, and a lot of the time, you come along in your car, on your own, and drive home.

So, I am trying to make less of an impact buy having these handy little cloths clean, dry and ready to use. They simply go in the wash with everything else.

I'm not saying that I am a green goddess of the environment. Indeed, there is a lot more that I could do to reduce my impact on the planet.

My point is this. I do something, every day that might be considered environmentally helpful.
It could really slow down the depletion of oil reserves, and reduce the damaging effects of human population of the Earth if everyone did a little more.

The other thing that I do regularly that is very important, is use a very common, inexpensive way to get to work.

No comments: