Monday, December 04, 2006

Coffee

About three years ago, I decided to take my love of good coffee to another level.

I bought an espresso machine and grinder.



"Right", I thought to myself. "Thats the most time and money that I am ever going to spend on coffee."

I couldn't have been more wrong.

After a couple of months of buying very fresh beans, I dipped a toe into roasting coffee at home. Now I'm not saying that the coffee that I was drinking before I started home roasting was bad. It's just that I now have more controll over how my coffee tastes. And that is a beautiful thing.

At the time, I was living with my parents, and I felt that I had to go outside rain or shine, to roast coffee. Seeing as they are tea drinkers, I think that was fair.

I started off, with a popcorn maker, progressed to about 4 popcorn makers. Then I struck gold!

There was something better out there for home roasters who didn't want to spend hundred's more on coffee equipment. a heat gun.

Yes indeed, the very gun that you use to strip paint, could be better used to roast coffee. So now, once or twice a week, my house gets filled with the most fantastic coffe smell.

At the moment, I am using an Ethopian coffee.

Even though I have some of the most fantastic coffee at home, I would be happier with an updated espresso machine, and a few more coffee gadgets to play with.
Oh well. Coffee Nirvana is a long way off.

No comments: