Tuesday, December 05, 2006

All Bagged Up!

My sewing career has gone through fits and spurts.

Whenever I feel inspired, or the circumstances are good, I sew. The rest of the time I wish I sewed, or that I sewed more.

At the moment, my circumstances are right for sewing.

Indeed life has been good since I moved to Ireland this year, so I have completed a few pieces.

The first thing that I made since I got my machine was this beige striped shoulder bag.

As you can see, there are free form flowers on the front. These were made from the selvages. I like the way that they add a rough edge, and of course use up some of those left over scraps, that would otherwise go in the bin.


Yes it's a lot rough around the edges, I am not particularly patient finishing things off, but it's a good first project after years of doing no sewing. The bit that I like to boast about the most is this. I drafted the pattern myself.

In the future, I will return to this bag, and add an insert to the base so that it holds a little more shape. But for the mean time, I am very happy with my first project in about 6 years.

No comments: