Monday, December 11, 2006

Duck Stew

I didn't mention, yesterday me and Totty had a nice cosy lazy day in, the weather was rubbish, so we had a Sunday lunch. That in itself is a bit of a rarity.

We had the normal, nice veggies, bit of stuffing, that I sexed up with a bit of garlic. Totty had duck that I roasted.

Now there was a lot of duck left on the carcase, which was fine. Totty had indeed had his fill at lunch time, and there was enough for a couple of weekday sandwiches.

I popped the carcase in a pan with four small onions just quartered, three carrots unceremoniously hacked up and thrown in and of course almost enough water to cover the whole thing.
That was left on a low heat to do it's own thing for a couple of hours.
This morning it was cool, so I put it in the fridge and revisited it when I got in from work.

What you can't quite see from this photo is that the liquid is jellified. so I would guess that there is a lot of flavour and goodness. I expected a lot of fat, but there wasn't.

So in a larger pan I fried off three small onions with a little oil. The pan got a bit dry, so I slugged in that bottle of wine that is having quite an outing this evening.

When the onions were looking to be a little transparent, I strained in the stock from the pan that you see above.

I picked off the remainder of the meat from the duck, and added a little of the smooshed vegetables to the soup pan.

At this point it is important to mention that I had a little helper. Yes that's Bean, giving me the evil eye and ordering me to give her some duck. Isn't it fantastic how a cat can look menacing and cute at the same time?

In went about a medium handful of pearl barley, and another slug of wine, lots of pepper. Four or five peeled potatoes and six peeled carrots, in large batons.

The whole lot cooked away to itself while I made myself busy doing other things.

Totty didn't proclaim his hunger when he got in. I wasn't surprised, because he did get in late and past the hungry time of an evening.

A quick whiff of this duck stew and suddenly his appetite returned.

No comments: