Monday, December 11, 2006

Roasted Peppers filled with Eggplant, Summer Squash and Basil

This recipe calls for:

3 medium size red bell peppers, I used 4 regular size.
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper

Halve the peppers longways and remove the seeds and membrane. Coat the peppers in the olive oil and seasoning and roast in a hot oven for about 7-9 minutes.

Filling
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup medium sized yellow onion chopped
3 Fat Garlic cloves (Original called for 5, but this is a school night!)
1 Medium sized eggplant, diced (original recipe called for Japanese this wasn't available)
3 medium size courgettes, diced
Small handful of black olives (the original called for "Gaeta" olives, I didn't have these and I have a sick soft spot for those dark ones in the jar.)
2 ounces Feta cheese, diced small (original called for "Fontina" but I've never heard of this)
Half a cup grated parmesan
3 tablespoons Basil (left out)

Heat oil in large frying pan, cook onions until transparent, add garlic.

When the garlic is looking cooked, the recipe is saying to add the eggplant. I found this all a bit too dry, so I slugged in some week old wine that I had in the fridge to add something extra.

Then I added the eggplant, stirred this about for a while, slugged in a bit more wine. In went the courgette when the eggplant was looking fairly well cooked.

The olives were roughly chopped up chucked in, as was the feta.

When everything had seemed well acquainted in the pan, I turned off the heat, added most of the parmesan into the mix and started filling the peppers with the mixture.

This is what it looked like in the oven. I cooked it for about 40 minutes because I was indeed lazy and I didn't precook the peppers.


I must say, that it didn't look as pretty as I would have liked. When Totty came in he said that it looked fantastic.



The overall taste was nice. The filling wasn't overly cheesy, which is a gripe that I have with a lot of vegetarian food.

I think that if I make this one again, I will add something to the filling, perhaps some thyme, and perhaps a pepper and olive oil dressing drizzled over the top to lift the flavours.

No comments: