Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Rant of the Day

So I was sitting at work, I have a very dull, office job, this afternoon. I was at my desk, basically sitting it out until 5.30, we have all done it.

Anyway, one of my work friends comes by and we start chatting. Lets call her G for our friendship's sake, this is a rant after all. She starts telling me about how she has mortgages on more than one property.

Now this is such a huge matter of contention for me.

Me and Totty rent. Why do we rent? Well in Dublin, where we live, property is so expensive because there is a shortage of places to live due to the population increasing. Dublin is basically a building site, I can't go out of my front door without literally seeing a building site or very recently completed apartments.

Now most of this building work is necessary. I admit.

But far too many are getting rich off it. FAR FAR FAR too many people are getting rich here.

People who are buying to let apartments are keeping property prices high. You all know who you are. Greed isn't big and it's not clever.

It's the skanks like me and Totty who are fairing badly. We just don't feel that we want to afford to buy a place because, we just can't justify getting a €450,000 or more mortgage for basically a hamster cage of a house.

There I have said it, the apartments that are being built are rubbish. Why is our generation accepting living conditions that are WORSE than our parents raised children in?

It makes me so cross I want to pull a face like this.



This picture is so apt. I could rant about this until I am blue in the face, and it wouldn't make a farts worth of difference.

GRRRRR.

I will leave you on a much calmer note. This morning before I left the house, I put my bread machine to make a loaf to be ready for just after I got home. So I came home to the smell of baking bread. Yum.

I will post more precisely about what I put in my loaf tomorrow. For now, here is the loaf. It's not one of those pretty pictures of food, it's a photo of really tasty food, at least I hope, I'm yet to take a slice and make sure.


Actually that's why it's not a posed picture. I'm hungry.

Looks nice doesn't it? I just about manage to make enough bread in my bread machine, so that we don't eat shop bought bread. Both me and Totty feel better for it. No artificial nasties. And for good measure I add some oats in, which is apparently good for helping to lower cholesterol.

One more calming thought. Here is my cat. Her name is Bean, I can't remember why we called her that, it just felt like the right name for her.






Bean was a rescue cat, that's really the most responsible way to get a pet. When we got Bean, she didn't do much, now she runs the house, and even takes a little pride in giving us both back chat.

I guess it's progress.

OK I'm off to eat some bread.

No comments: